Just One WISH
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis
What Inspires Seniors’ Hearts? We’re working to find out with Just One WISH, a program that grants wishes for residents in our Long Term Care center.
What types of wishes are granted?
We try to grant all types of wishes. While we may not be able to grant every wish imaginable, we are able to grant most wishes that fall into one of the categories below:
- A fun-filled wish. Examples include going to a day spa, going fishing, attending a ball game, going to a movie theater, visiting the Mall of America or eating at a favorite restaurant.
- A memory wish. A memory wish involves reconnecting with the past. Examples include visiting an old friend whom the resident hasn’t seen in more than 10 years, attending a class or family reunion, or visiting a place with treasured memories, such as a childhood home.
- A one-last-time wish. Sometimes there are experiences we wish we could relive just one more time. A walk in the park, a tractor ride or a visit to a special place are examples of one-last-time wishes.
- A needs-based wish. Needs-based wishes are designed to enhance the quality of life of the resident or simply to put a smile on his or her face. Needs-based wishes could include things like a new walker, a new blanket, a new sweater or an item a resident has always wanted but never had, like a mother’s ring.
How can you get involved?
There are three ways you can support the Just One WISH program:
- Donate your time. Volunteers are needed to help make wishes come true, especially if a wish involves bringing a resident into the community for an activity.
- Make a financial contribution. Monetary gifts are always needed and deeply appreciated.
- Sponsor an individual wish. Sponsoring a wish may mean providing the financial resources to make the wish come true. It could also mean donating time or the use of personal property to help with the experience of a wish (such as taking someone fishing). Or it could be a combination of both. Our staff maintains a wish list and can help match you to a wish based on your interests.
Online gift giving will be coming soon. In the interim, donations can be mailed to:
Attn: Lisa Carter/Just One WISH
Glencoe Regional Health Services
1805 Hennepin Ave. N.
Glencoe, MN 55336
Please make checks payable to Glencoe Regional Health Services and include a note that your gift is for the Just One WISH program. Donations to the Just One WISH program are tax-deductible to the extent of current law.
See our wishes in action! With permission, we’ve photographed our wishes and have posted them to our online gallery for friends and family to view. While most photos are visible, please note that some wishes may be password protected to respect the privacy of our residents.
To learn more, contact Lisa Carter, Long Term Care activities director, at 320-864-7764.